Skip to content
What is the best duration for nicotine replacement therapy?
Posted On April 25, 2017
- 525 smokers enrolled.
- Randomized groups for nicotine replacement via patch at 8, 24, 52 weeks
- 6 month cessation rates were significantly higher if patches used for 24 wks. vs 8 wks.
- No adverse effects noted
- Cost effective benefit long term.
- No additional therapeutic advantage with long term treatment (up to 52 weeks)
- Worsened adherence after 24 weeks
- Likely difficulties adhering to patch treatment for such a long period of time.
- 24 week duration of treatment is best.
- Suggested use of Champix (varencicline tartrate) or combination nicotine replacement therapy for better results.